return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: The subject of longevity

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Feb 12 10:00:52 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Crocdoc your so friggin prejudiced its amazing. And naive too.

If you would bother to ask questions and think, it would be much much better for both of us.

WHat is different where I live compared to where you live? heat you think????? its really hot here.

Guess what, we keep lacies in indoor outdoor cages, where they can get to as much heat as they want. And we offer cool, but simply cannot get it real cool. Its friggin hot here, think Marble bar.

Whats odd is, our lacies choose heat over cool at all costs. That is, they will sit in the sun until they pant. Then if we mist them or spray them, they look at me like I am crazy and go right back to HEAT. ITs their frogging choice. Which was a huge surprise to me. Before I got them, I THEORIZED, they would pick cooler temps, based on where they come from. Sir, that did not happen.

I am not a control freak, I offer conditions and the monitors take them as they want. When they use heat, they must feed, so we feed them, which causes them to lay eggs over and over and over. If we do not feed them, they die trying to keep laying eggs, I know, I have tried to stop them from multiclutching, its simply does not work, because its tooooooo hot. So I do not force anything on them, they pick it. They have a choice, unlike your indoor monitors. Ours can move indoors and slow down, they just don't.

I have lots of questions for you. Is it true that southern lacies get bigger then northern lacies?????? Is it true that southern lacies lay fewer larger clutches then nothern lacies?

I wonder if there is as difference in lifespan or reproductive lifespan between southern and northern laces?????? I wonder what is the natural reproductive lifespan of any wild lacie is??????? can you answer that??????

Sir, please answer those questions, as they are very important.

Next, do you think if there is a difference between the reproductive stradgy is it conditional or genetic. That is, if a southern lacie was expose to the greater amount of heat in the north, would it have more smaller clutches, or would it stay the same????? Or is a northern lacie was expose to the cooler temps of the south, would it change to getting larger and having fewer larger clutches??????

YOu do understand thats its common where a species has a long north south range to follow that stradgy.

Now on a personal basis, I do not force anything, I offer conditons and support the animals choices, as best I can. I do not hibernate, or cycle them in any way to promote reproduction. They do what they do on their own. So how do you call that forcing??????????

Unlike you that put them down and bring them up and do all sort of control measures. which you do because you THEORIZE thats how it should be. So its you that force conditions, I just offer choices and support their decisions.

If you would use your brain, and I know you have one, you just do not want to use it. Our conditions here are hotter then where lacies live around Carins, and much colder then the southern most laices. Its a bit confusing to the animals. But its not always colder, this year, its a very warm winter, it only froze a few nights so far. Last winter, we hit 10F a couple nights, killed off lots and lots of native cactus. And went below freezing 48 nights.

So please, use your brain before you spout off your mouth.

The only thing I do is FEED, and if you call that forcing, well, we surely do not agree on that. I call feeding, SUPPORT, not forcing.

In my opinion, you are the one controlling your animals, I give them choices. I guess I beleive in them, and you believe in you. I also guess, I believe in them and not in you. Is that good enough for you? So I will keep supporting what the animals choose to do, and not give a hoot about what you say or think.

ALso at this point, I have far more longevity records that you, but then, you only have a pair of monitors. Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The subject of longevity - crocdoc2, Sun Feb 12 16:09:24 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: The subject of longevity - crocdoc2, Sun Feb 12 06:12:00 2012