return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: FR's white throat results

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Feb 10 10:02:46 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I bred many females, not one. Two original founder stock, and females from several generations.

They are ground nesters and amazing as it seems, they never had nesting problems or infertility problems, ants did not bother them and I should have kept them. They nested well both indoors and out.

I think its time to remind folks on this board the reality of husbandry and primarily nesting. Once you know how to do it, it then becomes a maintenance task. nesting is not static. Its not just a method, but you must maintain the right conditions for EACH AND EVERY EVENT. That folks is trying and tiring. And its that, that leads to nesting failures. Once you understand the method, its the maintenacne that causes failure.

While most of you think in terms of once a year, which allows you to think its easy. Well thats not how it works.

Here we had hundreds opon hundreds of nestings a year. So after generations of success with a species, I simply got tired of the work it took to do the same thing over and over.

So there is no keeping a pair forever here at Goanna Ranch, or seeing how long one would live if you babied it. I did so that to some individuals, but in most cases, when I lose interest, I stop digging up eggs and then sold or traded off the females, or neglected nest maintenance and they failed.

I also know what your going to say, but We want those and will pay and bla bla bla. Sir, its not about the money and its not about what you want. That is something thats very tiring and actually caused me to lose interest in varanids.

I produced hundreds or even thousands of many many species, so I did my part. After that, its up to you folks to keep it going. No keeper is responsible to the wants of other keepers.

At this time I am retired for breeding monitors, yet we still produce more monitors and more species then most here or in the world, which is very sad. I have been working fairly hard at not producing them, but there is one problem, I love them, so some still pop out.

Recently I am getting some new species, types that are not known to be good captive breeders, that way, I do not have to do so much work, hahahahahahahahaha

I have always said, monitors are not hard to breed, they are the easist of all the reptiles, they are just a friggin ton of work.

Whitethroats are earth nesters and therefore a ton of work. Each time one nested, I moved between 100 and 3000 pounds of dirt. Do that three or four times a day, then get back to me, hahahahahahahahahahahaha month after month, year after year.

So if you want to work your bum off, keep this thread going.

Whitethroats are the cutest babies on earth, but not all that fun as adults. For making money, Whitethroats are great because they are the cutest babies on earth and would consistantly sell first and sell out at any and all reptile expos I took them too.

Sorry for the rant, Best wishes

Sorry, they could easily lay 3 to 4 clutches a year, which is not as many as other species, but they do lay large clutches of large eggs.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  here i must disagree... - wldktrptls, Fri Feb 10 14:23:10 2012

<< Previous Message:  FR's white throat results - RickAlbig, Fri Feb 10 01:34:33 2012