return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 1 week of Rat-a-Thon

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Wed Feb 22 23:34:58 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

Toby, you have described some things we have learned over time and by comparing notes which I pretty much agree with. My oldest, biggest green rat (triaspis) is being kept in a room with temps that vary from the high 50's to high 60's each day. She is in a generally dry terrarium with a humid hide (box). The ambient humidity in the room is generally 45 to 55%. She uses the humid hide about half of the time with the rest of the time hiding in or under objects in the cage. I think she's doing quite well this winter without feeding. The males are all doing well too with similar conditions.

I just think the Asians come from climates that are very humid, at least in summer. Triaspis is in a dry climate, but can move into humid microhabitats when it needs humidity the most. The Asians have a hard time getting away from the humidity, so may have more tolerance for it, imho. But this is just an educated guesstimate.

How are the Rhyncophis doing for you? How big are they getting? Do they handle like corns?

TC

>>Thanks Terry - As you know, I live in a very humid climate (Gulf Coast) and these snakes have done quite well for me - considering. Of course, my central a/c dries the air somewhat, but it is over 50% in the house even when the a/c runs all day, in the summer. I think very good ventilation is key, plus a himid / moist hide. Even in humid, coastal south Texas, this species will dessicate and begin having shedding problems if they are not provided with a moist hide - I know from experience, after allowing one's moist hide to dry out when it was in a shed cycle. So - I would kind of liken them to being very similar in (general) needs to those Asian green rats - except with a drier substrate, and more ventilation - but still with a very moist hide. That said though, I am sure they do well in dry climates too - with the provisions I mentioned...
>>
>>I know this is not exactly what you were talking about - but just thought I'd throw it out there. I am sure you are right about Senticolis most likely doing better (in a dry climate) than those green Asians...
>>
>>Now, as far as handling - I would somewhat retract my promotion of Senticolis (generally not very fond of being handled), and would suggest Rhynchophis. Rhinos are very peaceful and handleable snakes - which is also in contrast to the other green Asians...
>>
>>
>>-----
>>-Toby Brock
>>Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 1 week of Rat-a-Thon - tbrock, Thu Feb 23 00:06:54 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: 1 week of Rat-a-Thon - tbrock, Wed Feb 22 21:35:24 2012