return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 1 week of Rat-a-Thon

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Thu Feb 23 00:00:23 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

One of the interesting things about my collection is that I work mostly with snakes I can find in the wild...several localities of Emory's rats, Slowinski's corns, green rats, Sonoran gophers, desert kings and Cal kings, for instance. I like being able to work with them in the wild too, as well as the fact that I can collect my own breeder stock. Producing babies is fun, but I only do it when I need to continue the line, such as with my Brazos Island ratsnakes.

I believe a keeper needs to really like the species they work with to be the happiest with what they are doing. I may start up with a couple Asian species again now that I know that I have a good climate and operating room for them. My bimacs and diones have done very well for me here and I believe I could do well with a couple more like Orthriophis sps and/or mandarinus.

Cheers....Terry

>>Matt - I know what you are saying, but if everyone sells off their breeders of "unpopular" species, then who has those snakes? Will they breed them / sell offspring - represent them properly? I've thought many times about getting out of meahllmorum because they don't sell well - but I don't because I really like them - and maybe some day, others will start to value them as I do...
>>
>>BTW - there is nothing wrong with taking a break from breeding a species. It has been 3 years since I bred meahllmorum - I will be trying the possible het reverse-striped which are also Nueces County locale this season...
>>
>>And... This might be somewhat controversial for some - but I don't have a problem with folks feeding unwanted babies off to other things (indigos, kings, snapping turtles, whatever..) and have even given some of my extra babies to a friend for food for his animals. I think this might actually be preferable to selling a bunch of babies to a wholesaler and then seeing your babies in the classifieds selling for way too little for a year or more - BEEN THERE - won't do it again...
>>
>>
>>-----
>>-Toby Brock
>>Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: 1 week of Rat-a-Thon - tbrock, Wed Feb 22 23:22:43 2012