return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ZONATA DISEASE

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AllanBartlett at Thu Mar 1 19:36:29 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AllanBartlett ]  

Hi Bob,

I had firsthand experience with this insidious disease. I had a small colony of agalmas back in the early 90s when I was in my early 20s. At some point I added a new animal into my colony that I noticed was crawling on its side a little. I said to myself that this doesn't look right. Mind you it didn't have any symptoms of a skin disorder and at the time no one really had heard about this disease/syndrome. As weeks went past, one by one all my agalmas caught some form of the disease. As I recall I had just hatched out a few babies and they caught the disease. They died very fast as they didn't have much size and energy to fight off the disease. Their skin became like sandpaper and they just withered away. It was so sad. All the while the few adults I had also had contracted the disease by now. Their skin looked exactly like the pictures of Stu's animals and they were constantly going into a shed one right after the other. One particular adult male had his skin clear up after numerous sheds, but the disease had affected his nervous system and he would forever crawl on his side or back for locomotion until I euthanized him a few months later.

So my entire colony was wiped out and I was bummed. It wasn't until about five years later that I got back into agalmas because I love them so much. I now make sure that if I bring any new animals into the colony from an outside source that they are quarantined to make sure there are no skin issues or neurological issues. I haven't had a problem since I started back into them in the late 90s.

I hope that helps

Allan Bartlett
Juarez Wonders

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: ZONATA DISEASE - bobassetto, Thu Mar 1 20:40:39 2012