return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

I lost 2 of 4 brumating chucks (Why???)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pamnsam94 at Tue Mar 6 23:08:36 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pamnsam94 ]  

Although this forum has been extremely quiet for quite a while, hopefully someone will read this. I just checked on my 4 wild caught brumating chucks and I am so sad and angry at the same time. Both of the males are dead!! I can't believe it!! My kids (8,7 and 4) are going to be so upset when I tell them. They were looking forward to picking dandelions this spring.

The two females appear fine so I'm taking them out of brumation. Both males and one female were extremely calm. One male in particular had one of the best temperaments I've ever seen in a chuckwalla. He was also my most colorful one and the favorite of my family. Although he was from Box Canyon California (not being as colorful as say the males from Crater Range AZ) he had a very good amount of orange on him, as well as nice blacks, and was the best of a group of 20 or so that I had to choose from.

I had brumated these same chucks last winter and they made it through just fine. I can't think of anything I did differently. Anybody out there have a similar bad experience? Just trying to figure out what went wrong. I think I read that Eve checks her brumating animals once a week, something I didn't do last winter or this one. Not sure if that would have helped though because they all appear to have a good amount of fat reserves in their tails. If I would have checked on them within this last week, and they were looking as the females do now, I don't think I would have brought them out of brumation because as I mentioned, their tails look nice and full.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find another pretty male from Box Canyon that has a great temperament. Anyone that can get me one please let me know. The other male that died and one of the females (the only one of my four chucks that is skittish) was from an unknown locale in CA. What makes this even more disappointing is that I had high hopes of breeding them this year. Last year when I brought them out of brumation was the only time I witnessed regular attempts at mating. Prior to brumating him, he didn't even do pushups.

Bottom line, at least in my limited experience, is that I think brumation is helpful to induce breeding behavior, but I don't know about ever attempting it again unless I can figure out what I did wrong. Any suggestions or experiences that any of you experienced chuckers out there have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Perry

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I lost 2 of 4 brumating chucks (Why???) - shadowguy, Thu Mar 8 00:56:13 2012
>> Next Message:  Substrate? Red Mites? - rosebuds, Sat Mar 17 21:14:12 2012