return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: CA redback adult male

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pamnsam94 at Sat Mar 17 20:16:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pamnsam94 ]  

I agree. I'll never be able to nail my newest additions down to a particular locale. Also, no one should sell something as "X" locale if they do not have collection data, etc. I also keep dart frogs and that is a topic that comes up frequently.

At first, after I lost my Box Canyon male redback (although he wasn't red, he had a very nice orange coloration over most of his back, more so than other males I've seen from that locale, and he had an awesome temperament to boot) one of my concerns was that I would not be able to find a replacement male from that locale unless I took a trip out to the Twenty Nine Palms area of CA. However, now I'm not as much concerned with that. I just want to find a good, orange-backed male (preferably from a CA locale) to breed with my female Box Canyon chuck.

As a buyer, it wouldn't really mean much to me if I bought baby chucks from Box Canyon because I would have no idea what they would grow up to look like. In other words, I would rather buy an adult from that locale and select for certain coloration and temperaments. On the other hand, I would be much quicker to buy baby chucks from Crater Range AZ because, if my understanding is correct, there is more consistancy on how the males from that area will look like as adults.

So, for me anyway, it is more important to keep localities pure for certain locales primarily for the sake of people who might want to buy offspring. Keeping locales pure when it comes to dart frogs or even the various locales of panther chameleons may be worthwhile for other reasons as well, but the primary reason seems to be not to muddy the different locales so people will know what to expect as the animals mature, etc.

I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but I always find it interesting how different groups (e.g. dart frog keepers vs snake keepers) feel so differently about this topic. I would definitely prefer to keep all the chuckwalla locales pure, but since breeders seem to be far and few between, I'm not going to sweat it when it comes to certain locales. I just want to gain experience and to eventually have the joy of hatching out some baby chucks (as long as I can be sure of finding buyers). When it comes to other locales though, as mentioned earlier, keeping the locales pure is much more important to me. And finally, in all cases, it should be made known to potential buyers whatever locality data is or is not available. Just my thoughts. How do you guys feel about this topic and why?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: CA redback adult male - NDokai, Mon Mar 12 09:36:30 2012