return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

mangroves developed scent-gland abcess?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rear-Fanged ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Adam105 at Tue Mar 13 17:31:14 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Adam105 ]  

Summer of 2010 I picked up 3 neonate CH dendro's. I kept them on aspen and started them on baby brown anoles. Slowly, but eventually, they switched over to live pinks. After about a year, I noticed one of them had not been eating as well as the other two. Shortly I found that right above the vent was a bit "swollen". I thought nothing of it, other than maybe he/she was a bit backed up. Anyways, the snake soon died. Not long after, another turned up dead with the same swollen appearance near the vent. This seemed odd so I tried to push the mass out the vent but could not, as it seemed to be "part of" the scent glands. Lastly, the remaining baby stopped eating. At this point he/she is on live hoppers. Its feeding withered away from every few days to nothing. I noticed the mass near the vent now was very large...almost looked like it was laying an egg. Today I used a scalpal to take out the mass. I made a 1 inch slice along the side above the vent. Out popped a smalll abcess, resembling a small leopard gecko egg or something. It was the consistency of a hard-boiled egg. There also seemed to be another smaller abcess forming just following the first one. The snake is currently still alive, but is very weak from not having a recent meal on top of this procedure. I am hoping the snake makes a recovery as I put a lot of work into getting these three neonate mangroves started. Basically I am trying to figure out what is going on? Has anyone had a similar occurance? Any info would be great! Thanks
-Adam

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: mangroves developed scent-gland abcess? - DocOp, Sat Apr 7 13:10:52 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: mangroves developed scent-gland abcess? - vegasbilly, Fri Jun 1 00:24:56 2012