return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Wow, Yeah old Bert.........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tgreb at Sat Mar 24 16:08:14 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tgreb ]  

What a guy. I first met him back in about 87 I think just a couple years after he moved here. I used to try to talk to him on the phone but as we all know he was tough to understand and he was hard of hearing of course. He invited me down to his place and it was in early December. I remember it was like 45 F out and he had this huge enclosure for sungazers. These things were out basking at these cold temps. I just couldn't believe! He really broadened my horizons when it came to keeping lizards. Man how we argued how I was wasting my time keeping tropical reptiles when I could keep temperate stuff and save hundreds on my elelctric bill. LOL. Yes we all know Bert as being very frugal but his frugality was just plain smarts! He used to make enclosure drawings and notes for me so that I could keep stuff like russian torts(but only from the northern locale) and certain lacerta species and later Argentine tegus outside all year in Michigan. Unfortunately my interest did not lie with those animals. He just could not understand that as his interest was in all reptiles. I got to spend a lot of time with Bert as I moved to Tennesee and was within driving distance of him. Spent the 2004 hurricane expo with him helping him at his table-what an experience! Of course his taste in the folk music he loved so much wore off on me a bit. My wife thanked him for that! LOL. Yes Ty and Russets very sad that he is gone but he will never be forgotten! There will never be another Bert! And Ty, tell Lindsay hi for me. You took my uromastyx buddy! I can't call him and talk uros for hours now. Don't get around so much these days as I have a big family now and it is just not that easy to get away but hope to meet you one day.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Wow, Yeah old Bert......... - typherp, Sat Mar 24 16:35:37 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Just some info on the fever thing ...... - typherp, Sat Mar 24 14:28:21 2012