return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Juvenile Nile Monitor Diet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Wiggles9217 at Tue Apr 24 12:32:05 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Wiggles9217 ]  

Right now they're in a 29 gallon aquarium (30" x 12" x 18" with a screen lid; I've blocked off most of the screen with foil except for a little bit on the cool end in order to keep the humidity up. The warm end is around 90°F at substrate level while the basking spot (a large piece of sandstone) is around 130°F; the cool end is around 80°F. Humidity stays around 60%; their water dish is large enough to allow them to soak & submerge completely. The bedding is a peat moss/vermiculite mix that holds a burrow pretty well when moist; they have 5" on the cool end that slopes up to 6" on the warm end.

They're getting moved to my 75 gallon aquarium (48" x 18" x 21" sometime next week; I'm working on a new lid for it because they figured out the old one within minutes of being placed in there, and I would prefer to avoid any and all escapes. I'm starting construction of their permanent cage(s) come June; I haven't decided on the dimensions yet as I want to determine their gender first before deciding whether to keep them together or not.

They're only about 12" long in total length now, so are you sure that they will be fine with being switched to a rodent/fish-based diet already? As for the venison, would it be acceptable to feed them it if the cleaned organs, skin, hair, and some ground up bone are ground in with it? If so, then I'll just save some of those come hunting season to make food for them. Will whole live small minnows work for the fish portion of their diet? I have a pond that has a decent population of minnows which is why I ask; I know that disease could be a concern, but I also know that store-bought live fish as well as dead whole fish typically are full of chemicals & diseases.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Juvenile Nile Monitor Diet - Wiggles9217, Tue Apr 24 12:36:51 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Juvenile Nile Monitor Diet - murrindindi, Tue Apr 24 13:28:23 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Juvenile Nile Monitor Diet - murrindindi, Tue Apr 24 11:50:50 2012