return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50˘/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: help taming

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mightymouseec04 at Thu May 3 12:34:12 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mightymouseec04 ]  

Ok, so when I got my male tegu I had a similar problem, now he is like a puppy. What worked for me was a lot of patience and working with him every day. I would get home from school/work and take him out of the cage, which normally was a fight in itself. Once I got him out I would hold him until he calmed down, then I would put him down just enough that he would have his feet onto the floor and if he started to act up again I would pick him up until he calmed down. I never put him away when he was showing “aggressiveness”. It’s not that they are being aggressive it’s just they are defensive. You have to earn their trust so showing/teaching them you mean no harm is what it takes, and that can take time. Another thing you could try is not feeding him in his cage. You can take him out of the cage and bring him to the food. As aggressive feeders they can, just like snakes, relate you to food if they only see you putting food into their enclosure. If you cannot feed in another enclosure/location try taking the lizard out then putting the food into the cage and then putting the lizard back into the enclosure on the opposite end of the as the food is.
I am no expert; I am just sharing what has worked for me in this situation. My Male Tegu use to charge the enclosure doors mouth open when I opened them and now he is going to be used by my Veterinarian to teach students studying to become vets.

Anthony
1:1 Arg Black & White Tegu
1:3 Yellow Anaconda
1:2 Jungle Carpet Python
1:0 Green Anaconda
0:1 Green Tree Python
1:0 Coastal Jaguar Carpet Python
0:1 Coastal Carpet Python (Jag Sibling)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: help taming - murrindindi, Thu May 3 14:01:20 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: help taming - antwon, Wed May 2 23:09:54 2012