return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Read R. Montanucci's paper . . .

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chuckwallas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rosebuds at Sat May 12 18:11:51 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rosebuds ]  

He explains in this article that chucks have a water storage mechanism built into their physical makeup to help them get through droughts in their native landscape. Captive chucks don't face drought, so they carry excess fluid and have to release it. We don't know how this might impact their health long term, but it could. He says that wild chucks have well formed stools as opposed to our captive chucks who produce much looser stools. Do these looser stools pose a problem? I would say they do. For one thing, even if having runny poo doesn't dehydrate me, I feel back when I have it. I have to imagine that they don't feel great either. Also, if they have runny stools over a long period of time and it affects their appetite, which it did in one chuck here, they will get dehydrated from it as they will eat less and store less water. hat is what happened to this guy here. He had more runny stools than the others and he just didn't feel good. He lost weight and was staring to get dehydrated. Since I added these hay/grass based pellets, he is eating like a pig and is very active again.

The other issue in my chucks was fiber. Richard M. mentions in that article that chucks in the wild probably eat a lot more fiber than we feed them. Fiber keeps things moving just like it does in us, so we should pay attention to their need for it.

The person who reminded me to examine the amount of fluid my chucks were getting was Maureen, who has been keeping chucks since she was a kid. I won't say how long ago that was, Maureen. LOL! But her chucks live into their 20s, and she feeds them a diet much closer to their natural diet than I can. She grows flowers and buys greens at a farmers market, I think. She can confirm that. I have to find ways to make up for what I can't provide them until I can get some grasses, flowers and weeds going, and even then, I have to wonder if adding some dry vegetation, like hays, isn't a good idea.

Do you belong to any uro groups?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Read R. Montanucci's paper . . . - Paradon, Sat May 12 18:21:35 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hey Tom! Thanks! - Paradon, Sat May 12 17:41:00 2012