return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Sick Redfoot?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pyxigirl at Fri May 11 13:02:40 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pyxigirl ]  

My Redfoot is 6 years old and very healthy, eats a good diet of high-calcium greens, has her UVB and heat lights in her habitat. She has never had any health issues, but recently as the weather has been getting hot I started letting her out in the yard to exercise and graze on grass and dandelions (I do this every summer) but the day that she was outside, I noticed after she came in the house she burrowed deep into her substrate (which she rarely does, she usually sleeps in her hollow log) and she didnt move from that spot all evening, and the next day she did not move, so finally I moved her from the burrow, and she looked rather lethargic, and her eyes are running and watery, plus they look slightly squinty. It has now been 2 days later and I have been closely observing her, and she is still somewhat lathargic and sleeping a lot (not like her usual self) also she doesnt have a good appatite, I have to feed her FAVORITE foods to get her to eat, bananas and grated zuchinni, and she doesnt eat much of it. I soaked her to get her to poop, and the poop was normal consistancy but very dark in color, almost black, and very stinky. So she isnt gravely ill, but she isnt feeling well..do you think she might have eaten something poisenous in the yard? I notice there are a few new plants growing in the yard this year (wild plants) or do you think it wasnt warm enough outside and she caught a cold? We dont have any good reptile vets where I live so I am hesitant to take her to a vet if they dont know hardly anything. Today she was sleeping all day but I took her out of her log and gave her zuchinni and she ate some, but her eyes are still very watery..any suggestions?? Thanks.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sick Redfoot? - pyxigirl, Fri May 11 13:09:57 2012 image in post