return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Some Saharan info for you....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ajfreptiles at Sat May 26 06:52:40 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ajfreptiles ]  

I read below there are some with Saharan sand boas and so I will share some of what I know.

I have had them for about the last 3-4 years. Because of their relatively small size I put one animal per 10 gallon tank. These are the only snakes I house in glass anymore.

I use about a 2-3 inch thick layer of good clean washed play sand...the tan stuff, you can get it at Lowe's just make sure it is washed. Then for the 10 gal. tank use 2 of the zoo med heat pads, so it covers the entire bottom of the tank. I set a small 3 inch water bowl inside about in the middle, just keep it full of fresh water. No lights and the heat pads do get 100-110 at times but these boas can adjust temps very well.

For feeding I have found use a live rat pup to crawler size....this is the biggest size you will need in most all cases and I just leave in over nite. They are very shy boas so feeding at night is best. Using a rat pup ensures the rat will not be able to chew your snake like a mouse would....but I have found they prefer rats over mice. The key for feeding is they like to eat at night....and they like to come up out of the sand and snatch their prey.

I have tried other types of bedding over the years but have found the sand to work best. I still spray them down at night when the come out of sand to cruise around the tank when they are in blue.

They are a very solitary type animal so if you leave them alone they seem to do quite well.

Good luck and I hope this is of some help.

Andy
-----
ajfreptiles.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereSome Saharan info for you.... - ajfreptiles, Sat May 26 06:52:40 2012

>> Next topic:  Is this forum dead? - Petuniapig, Tue Jul 24 21:56:41 2012
<< Previous topic:  sand boas? - electricbluescat, Sun May 20 15:39:46 2012