return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Law notice for those going to snake days

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHFaust at Wed May 30 11:20:58 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHFaust ]  

With ks.com sponsoring the event, just wanted to get this out there for you all who plan on attending. If you have questions, post them here and Tanks will be able to answer them!

Amphibian and Reptile FAQ
Q1: Can I capture indigenous reptiles and amphibians on the road if I have the Reptile and Amphibian Stamp?
A1: No. The road is closed to capture of reptiles and amphibians, as well as other wild animals and birds.

Q2: Where can I capture indigenous reptiles and amphibians if I buy the Reptile and Amphibian Stamp?
A2: With the Reptile and Amphibian Stamp, and a valid hunting license, you can capture by nonlethal means indigenous reptiles and amphibians on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way.

Q3: Is the paved area to the right of a solid white line considered the shoulder of the road?
A3: No. That area is considered an "improved shoulder". Texas Transportation Code §541.302(15) defines shoulder as the portion of a highway that is:

adjacent to the roadway;
designed or ordinarily used for parking;
distinguished from the roadway by different design, construction, or marking; and
not intended for normal vehicular travel.

Q4: If I have a valid hunting license and a Reptile and Amphibian Stamp, can I set out traps on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way to catch reptiles and amphibians?
A4: No. The use of any type of trap to capture reptiles and amphibians is prohibited on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way.

Q5: Do I need anything else in addition to a valid hunting license and a Reptile and Amphibian Stamp in order to capture by nonlethal means reptiles and amphibians on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way?
A5: Yes. You must wear reflective clothing at all times while capturing reptiles and amphibians on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way. This reflective clothing must have at least 144 square inches of reflective material on both the front and back.

Q6: Can I cruise the road in a vehicle at night and look for reptiles and amphibians on the shoulder of the road or on the unpaved area of the public right-of-way?
A6: No. It is a violation to use an artificial light from a motor vehicle in locating, capturing or attempting to capture reptiles and amphibians on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way. The vehicle's headlights are considered artificial lights.

Q7: Can I sell any of the reptiles and amphibians that I capture on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way?
A7: No. It is a violation to take or attempt to take reptiles and amphibians on public property for commercial purposes.

Q8: Is there a limit on how many reptiles and amphibians I can capture on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way?
A8: Yes. If you possess more than 25 specimens of a species of reptile or amphibian listed in Texas Administrative Code, §65.331(d), or more than 6 specimens of a species of reptile or amphibian listed in Texas Administrative Code, §65.331(e), you will also need a valid Nongame Permit.

Q9: If I only want to photograph reptiles and amphibians that I find on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way, do I need a hunting license and a Reptile and Amphibian Stamp?
A9: If you capture, or handle in any way, the reptiles and amphibians that you find on the shoulder of a road or on the unpaved area of a public right-of-way, then you do need a valid hunting license and Reptile and Amphibian Stamp. This includes temporarily capturing, or temporarily handling in order to position a reptile or amphibian for photographs.

Note: Violations of the Reptile and Amphibian Stamp laws are Class C Parks and Wildlife Code Misdemeanors. Each violation is punishable by a fine of up to $500 plus court costs.
TPW A&R regs

-----
Cindy Steinle
PHFaust
Visit kingsnake on Facebook!
Follow Kingsnake on Twitter!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Law notice for those going to snake days - Chris_McMartin, Sat Jun 2 15:46:41 2012