return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Sanderson Herpers Shine Brighter

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tanks at Thu Jun 21 18:36:26 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tanks ]  

Sanderson Herpers Shine Brighter Than A Spot Light:

During Sanderson Snakedays many enthusiast did their part to help out in a home away from home, from cleaning the highways, helping stranded motorists and offering medical care to a car accident victim.

1) I personally witnessed the success of the clean highways project, Sunday night after most herpers had long headed for home I decided to drive up to the 30 mile cut up on 285 North of Sanderson. It was obvious upon arrival no one hunted these cuts during SnakeDays, the cut was riddled with trash and debris. Every few steps I found myself stepping on trash and causing myself to jump thinking I just stepped on a Blacktail Rattlesnake. I then drove down south to 9 mile hill and then out east of Sanderson out on HWY 90. It was so obvious the difference in the cuts, 9 mile and the east cuts were so much cleaner than other areas that had not been herped and cleaned. Those of you that participated in the Clean Highways Project, thank you for a job well done.

2) Jeff Barringer and the Kingsnake.com crew offered assistance to a motorist low on gas on the Friday night June 15th. The Kingsnake.com Crew took the time away from snake hunting to go back into Sanderson and get a few gallons of gas, while other herpers kept an eye on her and offered the safety of other people being around out on a rural highway. Jeff and Crew filled her car with gas and got the young lady back into town. There is nothing like a group of people working for the good of all. You can read the whole story on www.kingsnake.com.

3) Blaine Eaton a Snakedays Board member while hunting up on 285 Friday June 15th came upon an accident involving a motorist and an 18 wheeler. Blaine had some medical training while serving in the navy and jumped in and offered medical care, while a fellow herper of the South Texas Herpetology Association drove south on 285 towards Sanderson to get a cell signal to call 911. Blaine stayed with the women that appeared to have a dislocated shoulder, possibly a broken arm and contusions and offered road side medical assistance until the paramedics arrived some time later. He then gave up herping for a while to offer assistance and help paramedics by holding lights and helping with the stretcher. What a job they did and a caring heart these 2 herpers posses.

These great feats all occurred in a 2 day time period by some outstanding people, just think what we can overcome in a season of herping the Trans Pecos. The benefits of having you out doing what you love to do are far reaching and many people in the area are safer today because YOU WERE THERE to shine bright; as individuals, a group and a hobby.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Now that the law is repealed why arent - CMSMITH, Thu Jun 21 20:15:01 2012
<< Previous topic:  We need to start a campaign - stevenxowens792, Wed Jun 20 12:48:34 2012