return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Other forums for Beadeds?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gila & Beaded Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: NorCalAl at Fri Sep 7 19:50:15 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by NorCalAl ]  

I'm sure I'm reading you wrong. It seems like you're saying that anyone getting in is a nitwit and those selling helos to new keepers are irresponsible. I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

I'd think that experienced keepers, regardless of how 'right' they might be in the long run, would want the animals, even those kept by dimwit noobs, to be kept in the best conditions possible. That's why I'd think, if you are indeed one of the experienced keepers, that you'd contribute.

I know there's a mentality that the knowledge the experienced keeper has gained and lets them breed successfully should be jealously guarded, lest others gain from your experience. That mentality is fine for someone like a racecar driver or perhaps a photographer or a sweater knitter where their income is dependent on the difference in knowledge and skillsets.

For lovers of animals, however, the knowledge, even if flawed, is something that helps increase the condition of the animals kept. Someone that wants a helo is going to get one whether experienced keepers contribute their experience to forums or not. What might differ is the circumstances those captive animals are kept in.

I've certainly seen your type of attitude before. Both chondro and monitor keepers are like helo breeders - in the infancy of their hobby. But go to morelia.com or varanus.net and the best in the hobby not only spread their knowledge, they take the time to instruct the noobs so the animals come first.

From your post here, one could gather your income has taken a dive as prices have dropped and you are angry that others have taken advantage of the situation and entered the fray. Too bad. That's how 'free markets' work. Part of the charm and all. Of course, I could be reading it all wrong.

Since you profess to care about the animals, my question is, why WOULDN'T you share your knowledge and help the hobby progress? Most top breeders fetch top prices - and share knowledge.
-----
NorCalAl
On the Ridge
1.0 Chuckwalla (Sauron), 0.1 CDT (Cartman), 0.1 Ferret (Felon), 1.0 Canine (Baxter), 1.0 Feline (Sam), 1.0 Eclectus (Merlin) 1.2 Ackies (Kookla, Fran, Ollie)
0.3 Bearded Dragons (Dany, Sansa, Arya)
Not enough computers, cameras, or time!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Other forums for Beadeds? - dennisdelapjr, Fri Sep 7 23:05:37 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Other forums for Beadeds? - monkeyb00gers, Sun Oct 7 12:22:59 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Other forums for Beadeds? - DennisDeLapJr, Mon Aug 13 05:07:01 2012