return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Switching a 1 yr old from live to frozen

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: draybar at Mon Jul 16 04:15:03 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by draybar ]  

>>I went to see the Corn. He was in excellent shape. Clean and healthy. I have him home and he is in the spare room as it's the warmest (75 degrees). The prev owner has the heat pad in the center of the tank so I put the hide (large hide but ok for it's 20gal long tank) 1/2 over the heat pad, and 1/2 over the cooler end. He did come out of the hide last night to explore -- very active. Now yesterday was his day to eat so I opted to take him now vs letting him eat his "live" food 1st. I figured that I would have better ods in getting him to eat f/t if he was hungry. He eats 2 small white mice every week and 1/2. I don't get my frozens delivered till next Tues so it will be close to 3 weeks between feeding. He should be very hungry.. OK-- question... I see many say to feed outside his enclosre. I have a 4 qt plastic tub that I can use for feeding but I've heard you aren't supposed to bother a snake after he eats or he'll regurgitate. How do you get him back ino his enclosure then? Aso -- prev owner uses that black repti-sand. I heard that it's not good as it can get into a snakes nose and possible respiratory sys. I plan on switching to aspen after a few weeks. I just want him to get settled before I make too many changes -- ie 1st feeding from live to f/t, then his sustrate.

the "don't handle after eating" thing is just a precaution.
It won't hurt to move your snake from a feeder container to it's enclosure. You don't want to move it before it has the meal all the way down and you don't want to get the snake out and play with it for a couple of hours after it eats but placing it back in it's enclosure will not be a problem. I would switch over to the aspen as soon as possible.
-----
Corn snakes and rat snakes...No one can have just one.
"Resistance is futile"
Jimmy Johnson
Draybars Snakes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Switching a 1 yr old from live to frozen - skyhawkjrp, Sun Jul 15 16:54:50 2012