return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Help! Scute problem!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amazonsmurfette at Mon Jul 16 13:49:05 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amazonsmurfette ]  

I have a 1000 gallon indoor pond set up with a pool filter, large sand basking area with a heat lamp, and 2 4' flourescent fixtures (each one holds two UV bulbs). I feed a variety of seafood (shrimp, squid, whitefish, smelt, snails, and muscles) as well as reptomin pellets and provide free access to cuttlebone. Recently 2 of my male DBT's, in the process of shedding, lost a medial scute before the scute under it was fully formed. The scute seems to be formed on the edge, but it's not formed in the center. As soon as I noticed I pulled them out of the pond, put them under 24 hour UV bulbs (instead of the 12 hour setting I've had them on, and I've been drydocking them for a couple of hours each every day and treating the affected area with neosporin. I provided each of them with their own cuttlebone thinking that perhaps there was too much competition for them in the pond. Neither of them have touched the cuttlebone yet. Their appetites are normal and their behavior is normal. I haven't noticed any excessive basking or lethargy. I suspect that the problem is the result of their lack of interest in the cuttlebone. Is there any way to get a calcium suppliment to aquatic turtles? I know injectable calcium can be very painful so I'd like to stay away from that. Does anyone know of an oral liquid calcium suppliment or anything else that may help?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereHelp! Scute problem! - amazonsmurfette, Mon Jul 16 13:49:05 2012

>> Next topic:  My New Sexy DBT - JohnB805, Wed Aug 1 03:27:05 2012
<< Previous topic:  Buy Turtles from Canada? Legal - capital9, Sat Jul 7 17:51:10 2012