return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

I need help identifying two tortoises.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: magpiejays at Tue Jul 24 20:48:40 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by magpiejays ]  

My mother works at a county animal shelter, and two tortoises were dropped off recently within the span of a couple of days. Not a lot is known about them, other than they are probably malnourished. I ended up taking them in because I had a tortoise when I was little and I have the time to devote to them.

My mom thinks they are both females, and that one is a a Greek tortoise (Nancy), and the other one is a leopard tortoise (Erma).

I plan on building them a tortoise table asap (Erma came in a 20 gallon tank with shavings, Nancy came in a box with nothing) but before I do I would like to know their breeds before so I know what substrate they need, temperatures for basking areas, and best diets. I also would like to know if I can house them together. (I am more of a bird person than a herp person so while I know a lot about animal care, and enrichment, I don't know about herps )

Anyway here's pictures.

Nancy and Erma together:

Nancy is the larger of the two. Both seem pretty well socialized. Nancy doesn't hide in her shell much at all and when you hold her she just keeps walking. When let out she will just keep exploring, and she seems to favor heading east. Is that odd for a tortoise? Does it mean anything?

Erma is a little shy. More afraid of her surroundings, and seems more comfortable to explore things inside. When I take her outside for enrichment she usually stays in the same area mostly hiding, some times moving.

Erma's top:

Erma's underside:

Erma's face:

Erma's foot:

Her eyes seem really watery, and I am not sure why. Also it looks like she is missing some scales above some of her toes. There is white skin instead of scales. I am concerned for her, and am wondering if it is normal or if it is due to some thing that needs treatment from a vet.

Nancy's top:

Nancy's underside:

Nancy's face:

I really appreciate any feed back in advance. Also if there are any websites you wonderful folks can share with me I'd really enjoy it.

Thanks in advance!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I need help identifying two tortoises. - nocturnalnature, Wed Jul 25 02:51:12 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: I need help identifying two tortoises. - EJ, Wed Jul 25 06:47:18 2012