return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Out-Door Enclosure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mightymouseec04 at Thu Aug 9 17:54:10 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mightymouseec04 ]  

Every now and then the male does get a bit fussy but only puffs himself up when he is enjoying the sun but nothing bad. Before I built the outside enclosure I would take them out and let them enjoy the sun in the garden. When I put them in the garden for some time to enjoy the sun the male would get fussy and not want to be messed with. He would open his mouth and puff himself up and a few times even lunged. That was his way of telling me that he wasn’t done in the sun yet and didn’t want to go back inside. The female, I have never had any aggression issues but that may be because she has always been babied by me.
I agree that it’s strange to hear that the female is picky but I have tried so many different things over the years and it’s just how she is. I have heard of many eating anything and even rotting carcasses but my tegus don’t. I tried to give them an old rabbit that my snakes didn’t eat and they wanted nothing to do with it. I had to throw it away because they were just letting it rot and the smell got too bad to just let be. I was shocked, especially seeing that my male will try anything that’s meat. Now I just stick to a mix of meats and bananas, and give mice from time to time.
I have to say the reason, in my opinion, they are so calm is because they very rarely see me giving them food. I normally will put the food in their enclosure when they both are still in their hides, as I leave for work or after work before the sun sets. When they use to see me putting it into the inside enclosure they began to think me holding my hand out meant that I had food. Now they see me and will come up to me trying to climb on me or just acknowledge I am there. The female will, on the other hand, chase my toes if I climb into the enclosure with sandals on but I did that once and that was all it took. The moment my feet hit the ground she charged my feet mouth open.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Out-Door Enclosure - Lia, Thu Aug 9 15:38:28 2012