return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I Hit Hidden Albino Genes AGAIN

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DMong at Tue Aug 14 16:02:49 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

"Those may have been from a line that was a Texas cross"

BINGO!,......unless the bug-eyed one's you were referring to were wild-caught in a known locale that had nothing to do with linheimeri whatsoever, they have had to have been crossed inadvertently all the time over the years of countless people owning and breeding both types. Hell, I even bought a leucistic "texas" from two different sources to make a pair years ago that were both labeled as "Texas" rats and later on I discovered one had very deep ruby-red pupils. The other was an off-white "ivory" color that is said to be a leucistic "Black" rat characteristic.

Heck yes!, when nobody can tell the difference between the two anyway, simple common sense tells me the cross happens all the time every single breeding year unbeknownst to the breeders. I totally agree, with a few exceptions, the crosses are floating around all over the place being sold as either subspecies.

The way I look at all this is if all these casual hobbyist/breeders can't even tell the difference between the many patterned snakes out there in the hobby, how in god's name could they POSSIBLY tell the difference in the two white snakes?..LOL!!.it just ain't gonna happen, let alone know which are crosses out of all of them out there. I am betting something like 95% wouldn't have a clue which ones they had. I sure didn't either, and the one with deep ruby eyes made me even that much more unsure..

I am wondering if the off-white "ivory" thing isn't simply dreamed up BS too. All it takes is for someone to have some that look more ivory than others and are simple variants that could be in either lecistic ssp.

Anyway, I could never even guess which are true lecistic Blacks and which are true leucistic Texas rats on the best of days, and I know damn well others can't tell either. Just me knowing what most folks know about taxonomy and identification tells me it just can't happen. The ONLY people that know which ones are which, are the few guys that 100% KNOW that theirs originated from one of the few leucistic Black rat locales that were never, ever outcrossed to anyone elses stock not gotten from the same bloodline sources, like maybe Don soderberg's line of leucistic Blacks here. I wish I would have been able to ask him personally, because I was talking to Soderberg just last night for almost two hours. I will remember to ask him about the line he had next time I talk to him though to see what he personally knows about them and where they specifically originated from.

Bottom line is you are totally right about the "mish-mash" thing. I'm very sure a good percentage of them out there are just that, because how could anyone tell otherwise?

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Great Plains Rat Snake - captainjack0000, Sat Aug 11 13:01:47 2012
<< Previous topic:  Opinion on Eggs - allensheehan, Tue Aug 7 22:13:55 2012