return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Help needed....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rahl1972 at Mon Aug 20 17:17:12 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rahl1972 ]  

I'm hoping there are some people on here that can help. I'm at a total loss on this one. A while back..right before the ban I purchased a large male green burmese from a guy on line. I received the animal in quick order and it was explained to me that he had been off feed for a bit because he had been in "breeding? mode so he was a little bit under weight. To say he was under weight would be correct. He was huge though....coming in at about 15 ft. I noticed right away that he had numerous old scarring all over his body. Some looking like past injuries and others looking like something different like maybe sometime a long time ago he had maybe had a bout with scale rot or something like that. We also discovered a bit later that he came to us with a mite problem. We got rid of the mites easily enough only to have him later show early signs of a RI infection. We also got that quickly taken care of. The alarming thing is....that he will not eat. I have gone through one frozen thawed rabbit after another and he gives them a smell and then turns away. I have tried rats....same thing. I tried a live rabbit...no response other then nearly acting scared of it. He drinks fine....just will not eat. I have no idea what to do at this point. He keeps losing weight and I'm really feeling I'm at the end of the line with him. If he doesn't eat soon I'm afraid I'm going to have to put him down. I can't watch an animal starve to death. In all my years of keeping large snakes I have never encountered one that would not eat like this. Feeding was NEVER a problem with any of my retics,olive pythons,bloods or anaconda. Any ideas of something else I could try? By the way.....I don't have the name anymore of the guy I purchased from to ask what he had been feeding on or for more info on his back story.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help needed.... - Kelly_Haller, Thu Aug 23 16:07:25 2012