return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Just noticed something.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rascal_rascal_99 at Fri Sep 21 18:28:45 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rascal_rascal_99 ]  

...everyone has to figure out what works best for them. As much as I generally try to emulate what I see the other people in the hobby do most of the time, especially those I have a lot of respect for and trust, if something just isn't seeming to work right, then sometimes you have to find what does work.

That being said though, all the people in my...lets just call it loosely, circle of friends...from the past who I knew worked with rainbow boas, either brazilian or colombian, always kept breeding adults in large community cages, usually groups of 2.2 or 2.3. The anery/het litter I had, I never pulled the male. I only put him in a different cage while I was pulling babies so I wouldn't have to try to watch out for him trying to sneak out on me too. My colombians I did remove the males once I was sure the female was gravid, but that is because I have a couple of very enthusiastic breeders that just absolutely would not leave her alone. I haven't seen them combat, I don't know that they do or would (I don't think so?) but I have seen two males both with their tales all wrapped around the females at the same time together in a big knot and I don't have a clue inside that mess of snake tails who was actually breeding...lol.

The only other time I'm used to seeing rainbows housed individually is if it's a young one that wasn't wanted into the breeding mix yet, or soon after birth putting a female by herself if she's being fed a little more often just so she'll already be separated.

Which ever way ya'll are doing things, I say keep at it because you're obviously getting some great results!

Charlie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  The start of a busy week..... - rainbowsrus, Thu Sep 20 02:29:05 2012
<< Previous topic:  The book - DanW, Sun Sep 16 17:04:54 2012