return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

We Need Advocates Who...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Law Center & Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chris_mcmartin at Thu Sep 20 21:40:11 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chris_mcmartin ]  

...can explain to the politicians they're being played by animal-rights activists (I'm looking at PeTA/HSUS, obviously). Laws like this are the proverbial "foot in the door" or the "camel's nose under the tent." The animal rights activists' agendas need to be exposed for what they are--an attempt to eliminate the ability for average citizens to obtain, maintain, and enjoy the animals they love.

Most municipal and/or state legislation proposals seem to read EXACTLY THE SAME, so I assume a common source.

Concern #1: "Pulling a fast one" in a few hapless municipalities establishes precedent ("hey, two towns over they adopted these 'common-sense' laws; you should too".

Concern #2: These laws always start as "common-sense" laws (though they're completely arbitrary): "we're just talking about venomous, or constrictors over 6 feet long," and so on. However, it seems many of those laws get passed with language such that Entity X (Fish and Game, or some other non-elected body) has the authority to add additional species as they see fit.

The problem with some hobbyists is that they simply don't care: "well, they're not coming after the species I like to keep, so it's not of my concern." They'll be after yours next, and the process could be surprisingly quick and easy to make you a criminal overnight (see above). That's why it's important to write to your legislators, speak at hearings, etc.
-----
Chris McMartin
www.mcmartinville.com
I'm Not a Herpetologist, but I Play One on the Internet

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Could owning a reptile become illegal in - EricWI, Thu Sep 20 19:31:28 2012