return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Today's Litter, Anery?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rascal_rascal_99 at Mon Sep 24 21:24:33 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rascal_rascal_99 ]  

First off, congrats on the litter no matter what it may turn out to be, babies are always fun!

My BRB experience is very limited, practically nothing compared to what the others here have, but recently I did have a litter of anerys and hets born. While they were different, the first 48 hours or so after birth especially, the hets were extremely close to looking the same as the anerys with just a touch of peach coloring. I have pics posted in a thread below somewhere, from when they were first born, the camera really enhanced the color of the hets a lot more than they appeared in person. There was a major change after the first shed though and now they're nowhere close to each other...I'd really like to see a group pic of them after the first shed. I do see color in all the babies other than the first pic of the still born.

Having said all that, I don't think I would put much into how the still born looks. Even though it went full term, something was wrong with it and since coloring is basically the last thing that developes in snakes (and with these a lot of it doesn't even develope until after birth normally anyways), it can be hard to know if it would have still developed color more had it lived. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've had someone think they'd stumbled onto a new morph based on the coloring of a still born. Granted you've also got the whole litter in front of you to see in person, without the added possible changes in coloring of the babies due to camera or computer monitor settings, so you know what you're seeing a whole lot better than the rest of us.

I'm also not sure how much I would base thoughts on it being a new line on how the adults look simply because there is such a range of variation in what they can come out like anyways...now if you showed us an adult that was still a nice clean black and white anery that would be a different story and I don't doubt you'd really be making a lot of us get excited and start drooling! lol I'm guessing you've probably already tried to dig a little, but have you tried to check back through their lineage and been able to trace lines back to anywhere close to being related to known anerys? I've you've said anywhere, I missed it when I was reading. Unless you do manage to trace it to current lines, the only way to know if it is the same as a current line or different would be to breed it to one and find out.

Again, congrats on the litter, sounds like you've got some fun times ahead if you do have an anery litter on your hands working through finding out what it really is.

Charlie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Today's Litter, Anery? - BoidMorphs, Mon Sep 24 22:13:26 2012 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Today's Litter, Anery? - BoidMorphs, Sat Sep 22 19:42:31 2012 image in post