return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anery Litter Update

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rascal_rascal_99 at Mon Oct 8 21:55:22 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rascal_rascal_99 ]  

First off, congrats again on the litter and hitting on the anery gene! That adult is a beautiful animal too!

For what to do next, obviously where you decide to go is your choice, whatever you decide to do it's definitely going to be a long time coming to really prove out what is what here. Personally, I still think proving it against at least the most common line out there would be a good idea and important. The ball python world is a mess in a bunch of different places because of people finding something, screaming new morph, naming it their own and putting it out there without actually proving what it was. I think it's just as important to prove what it is, as to prove what it's not...still speaking of the bp world, there are different hypo lines which are visually identical, but not compatible for example. This has happened with other gene's that have shown up too through the years, back in the mid 90's I was shocked when I bred a pair of lavendar albino cal kings and got a whole clutch of black and yellow normal appearing babies. If I were a buyer, I'm going to want to know what line I'm getting into, how common it is, and what it is/isn't compatible with. On the flip side, there are a number of gene's out there with multiple names because of two different people getting hold of one and not taking the time to work through that it wasn't a gene that was already known. I know we're not talking bp's or cal kings, but proving out genetics is still just the same and it's not hard to look at the bp world and see what a mess things are because of people rushing to name something as their own new morph and not taking the time to be more responsible about figuring out what they have first.

I'm thrilled for you that you hit on anerys and I don't think anyone here is questioning that that's what they are now. Exciting stuff! What I do question, is what you believe may be a pastel or something else when I feel like it could be easily and more likely explained simply by natural variability. I wouldn't be surprised either if it turns out that the odd ones you're seeing are something along the lines of visual hets.

Whatever you decide to do with it, good luck and I hope you have a lot of fun out of it. I'll be looking forward to seeing how things progress and what the little ones grow into!

Charlie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Anery Litter Update - BoidMorphs, Tue Oct 9 06:36:50 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Anery Litter Update - rainbowsrus, Tue Oct 9 10:54:19 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Anery Litter Update - BoidMorphs, Sun Oct 7 11:32:28 2012 image in post