return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anery Litter Update

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rascal_rascal_99 at Tue Oct 9 20:08:27 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rascal_rascal_99 ]  

I don't mean to keep pointing towards ball pythons, but the bp world is where I see the most genetic diversity and examples right now. What really made me think of this, is there is a strain of albino bp's out there, that the het's often hatch out looking absolutely black and white axanthic. It's crazy, if you google it you'll probably turn up stuff on it where people actually thought that they just got axanthics at times...they don't stay that way, often by the time they go through their first shed they've started to color up like normal, and when they do it's usually a pretty fast change. I don't know that it's trusted enough still to sell them as definite hets out of a het to het breeding, although I have seen them being marked up over the other possible hets and people told that "these are most likely going to be the hets out of the clutch". A friend of mine had this strain of albino, I'll see if I can link in some pictures late tonight when I get home from work. (btw, I'm calling it a strain for lack of a better term, it's not a different albino gene, it's the normal common one out there, just some for some reason do this).

Genetics are fun and exciting, often confusing and even leave the experts scratching their heads coming up with answers for whats going on sometimes (research banana/coral glow being sex linked sometime for some real craziness). I'm sure no expert on it by far, I have a good grasp on understanding a lot of what I think I need to know, sometimes I may not be the best at explaining things. I do know that I've seen things that make no sense sometimes, and others there's a little sense but no definite explanation for why it happens sometimes... another friend of mine hatched out a clutch of pastel yellow bellys het pied that had so much white coming up the sides of them they could have been sold as pieds...but with the only pied gene coming from one parent who was a visual, we know that they're 100% hets. Obviously the pied gene is finding a way to bleed through, how exactly or why is anyones guess.

Anyways, sorry if I rambled, but just thinking through what's going on here with this new litter, brainstorming reasons for "why" other than simply natural variability in color, it crossed my mind that there could be the anerys, normals, and then the others which could possibly be giving away that they're anery hets. It's possible anyways and it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe this actually is a new gene of anery that leans in the direction of being incomplete dominate instead of totally recessive? Or it could be natural variability in color and totally wild luck that they happened to have tied into an existing line somewhere along the way and the gene has been being passed along totally unknown until now.

Fun stuff, guess we all get to sit back and have fun watching where it goes from here!

Charlie

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Anery Litter Update - rascal_rascal_99, Thu Oct 11 18:24:43 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Anery Litter Update - rainbowsrus, Tue Oct 9 10:54:19 2012