return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: corn X great plains rat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DMong at Tue Nov 6 18:48:00 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Well, if someone gets into the hobby that knows that little about them, and starts with breeding two "Hobby Hondurans" that key-out even half-decent meristic-wise that don't look rediculously, and obviously "mutted-up" with something other than the Central American forms that have typically (but not necessarily) been a varying-percentage composite of them for decades (polyzona, stuarti, abnorma, oligozona, etc,..) then they will simply produce more very similar to the parents "Hobby Hondurans" just like countless others have done over the years (including myself). If they can't tell the differences between the subspecies anyway, and most in this hobby certainly CANNOT, I don't see how they could possibly be disappointed by making more typical Hobby Hondos..LOL! Then if people would only learn about what they work with in the first place BEFORE they become "PRO breeders", they could get on a waiting list for some 100% known-to-be authentic L.t.hondurensis (which are EXTREMELY rare, and are only a few of in the entire country). The guy that has these authentic Honduran milks (L.t.hondurensis) would NOT be selling any to some newbie that weren't hardcore milk buffs anyway, so unless it was some dark red/orange tangerines from the old-school "Vivid" line, They would have to settle for "Hobby" hondos anyway, or move on to another subspecies to mess with.

Anyway, the Hobby Hondos are one of the very LEAST "disappointing" scenarios today in my opinion. If you want an example of major disappointment, just go to any classifieds on any forums and you will see PLENTY to be disappointed about. amel Ruthven's x Pueblans )look almost pure high-yellow amel ruthveni) sold as amel "Pueblans"..LOL!,.....Textbook Newport-Long Beach aberrant Cal. king phenotypes that were also 25% Pueblan milk (that fooled even me, Ross Padilla, and Brian Hubbs) in an ad by a well-known hybridizer, A so-called "axanthic Florida king" that I saw at Daytona on a table, and told the very well-known and experienced field herper/herpetoculturist that it was clearly a Cal. king x floridana cross, and it looked exactly like something "so-and-so" would produce. So he practically fell back on ther floor laughing and told me....."holy CRAP!!!, that's EXACTLY who produced these!!". Or maybe the F-1 50% Gray-Banded king x cornsnake that looked virtually pure "Gray-band" except for the brown irises. Anyway, I could go on and on and right a book with countless examples, but Hobby Hondo are absolutely harmless and have been what they are in the hobby since virtually day one.......and it was (and still is) from igm=norance(not knowing), not from being crossed on purpose (mostly anyway). I don't think there is even 1% of the entire snake hobby that can tell me what the precise differences are between the Latin milks, or even recognise a textbook example if it bit them on the nose, much less any intergrade animals comrised of one or more other Latin ssp. Thay can all be pretty sketchy anyway , even for the most well-seasoned Latin triangulum aficionado without knowing precisely where in central America they originated from, and of course how well they key-out meristic-wise...............

Anyway though,there is PLENTY of other nonsense out there that is FAAAR more of a threat as far as diluting authentic genepools and making more questionable garbage out there than any Hobby Hondo could ever do....)

cheers, ~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: corn X great plains rat - AaronBayer, Wed Nov 7 10:20:55 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: corn X great plains rat - AaronBayer, Tue Nov 6 08:55:40 2012