return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Please help my 2 Cali Kings!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: hokkaidojan at Wed Oct 31 00:05:58 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by hokkaidojan ]  

Hi.
I purchased a California Kingsnake 50/50 just almost 2 months ago, it arrived about as thin as a pencil, and about 30cm in length.

I housed the snake in a critter keeper 30cm x 25cm x 25cm using a deep pile of coconut fibre chunks as substrate.
Shelter on both warm and cool sides, bowl of water in the middle.

A heat pad is under less than half of the tank for gradient, and no lighting (other than shine from another pets light).

I left it for almost 2 weeks before attempting a feed, and then tried warmed F/T pinkies (about the same thickness as the snakes thickest part of body) and it showed zero interest. for the next few weeks I attempted the same it had no interest.

Concerned for its health a friend who tends to know what he is doing tried assisted feeding by opening the jaw putting the pinkie in pulling it back a little.
This had no effect, the snake just shook around till the pinkie came out.

A week later we resorted to force feeding, but it just seemed impossible to get the pinkie into the throat. Eventually it was force fed about the same weght of a pinkie using rat tail.

We have had to feed the rat tail twice now, to be assured it is eating.

Today I noticed its eyes clouded as if it is about to shed, and am hoping this could be the reason for not eating, but 2 months??

The owner of the store felt bad about this, and gave me for free a 2nd cali king (maybe from the same batch) this one is about the same length, but seems a ot thinner.

Its been a week now and this one seems to show no interest in mice either!!!

I am now stressing out about it please help!!!

BTW, tried braining the pinkies/deli cup method those didnt work.
Cant get hold of lizards or live pinkies where I live too.

I would appreciate ANY help you guys can offer!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]