return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

88 days and...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RG at Wed Nov 28 13:43:43 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RG ]  

my last Hondo clutch of the season is out!

I don't keep my eggs in a tightly controlled environment, just in a closet, within a plastic “shoe box”, so the temps fluctuate between 74-82 everyday. The gradual decrease in daytime temps, due to our harsh Florida winter pushes hatching times out a week or so.

The sire: Triple Homozygous

Don’t have any good recent pics, so here he is as a neonate:

Here are a couple close ups of him with a snow for comparison (he’s lighter in color than the snow):

The dame: Hypo Het Snow

This clutch was really weird/unique too, for a few reasons.
1) The female (Hypo Het Snow) was "gravid" for well over 65 days. I set her up per my usual schedule after her “pre lay shed” but no eggs. Shortly after her not laying I offered her a meal, she then started to feed, although sporadically. She maintained her swollen/gravid state and I was very concerned for her health… until I checked her one day and saw two slugs in her cage. I immediately prepped an egg box and she laid a few more slugs over the next few days. Unfortunately, she decided to lay right as we were leaving for a (short) weekend vacation. When I returned home, I found only two eggs that were laid in the "egg chamber" so the others had dried out. ( I did try to re-hydrate them, but no luck.)

2) This was the first clutch, which I’m aware of, in which a Triple Homozygous has been proven (sire or dame)!

3) I thought I had another Triple Homozygous! When I candled one egg about two weeks ago, as you can see by the following photo, there was no visible sign of a banded Hondo inside. All I saw was a faint shadow of a “transparent body”. I would have put money on it at the time! I even called a couple of my friends to “predict it”…(insert foot in mouth here)!
I guess this observation is just another tid bit of information about when Hondos really start to develop color/pigment. (I don’t typically candle my eggs after the first few days of being laid, but around day 75, I was concerned that the eggs weren’t fertile or had gone bad… due to no signs of egg indentations. My eggs tend to dent in around a week or more prior to pipping.)

Late Candling Shot:

Example of denting eggs:

Here are the HUGE clutch photos!

1st Pippage (day 83):

You can actually see the Tricolor banding in the egg on the right. Sometimes you get these opaque windows in the eggs, it's kinda like a smoked glass appearance.

1st out (day 86):

Tangerine Hypo Het Snow @ 22 grams

2nd out (day 88):

Tricolor Hypo Het Snow @ 24 grams

Both are very chubby evenly banded Hondos...and being 100% Het for Snow is just awesome!

Hope you enjoyed the post…

-Rusty

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Brumation questions - gerryg, Sat Dec 1 17:39:33 2012
<< Previous topic:  "Kims' Colubrids" inquiry?? - DMong, Mon Nov 26 11:31:09 2012