return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

New BrB baby sleeps on cold side?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DrownedInBile666 at Sun Dec 16 18:49:33 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DrownedInBile666 ]  

Hi guys
New to these forums.. But anyway.
I have recently gotten a new reptile, a beautiful Brazilian Rainbow female baby. I set her up in a ten gallon which she can fully stretch out in. She has a water dish that takes up a great amount of her cold side. I little cave hide over a heat mat under the tank. a humid hide in between both of these. and a branch that goes up towards the black light at night. Her cage is about 75 to 80% humidity during the day. At this time she has absolutely no heat lighting. Just her heat pad. At this time the air temp is low to mid 70s but the heat pad keeps her ground temp around low 80s. I keep humidity in her tank with damp rags over the top and I keep those damp through out the day and mist her cage.(Yes I leave openings for air circulation) However, at night time I put on a 100 watt black light on and keep the rags on the keep the humidity in somewhat. but at night her humidity drops to high 50s to mid 60s. Her hot side is now at an air temp of mid 80s. and cold side remains at low 70s. her substrate is a damp terrarium liner and I line the corners and outer areas of the cage with moss to provide humid areas. Plus she has a humid hide with paper towel covered in a little moss.

Anyways... Sorry for that long list I just wanted you guys to have an idea of her set up. She had a fantastic whole body shed after I got her. Was very happy. Tried to feed her about a week after getting her. No luck. Tried again a little under a week later. No luck and It has been a week and Im hoping to try again and maybe just leave her with the thawed mouse in the feeding tub for a while? I heard a few suggestions about that.

But my main concern is she likes to wedge herself to the furthest part of the cold side, in between the water dish and the glass on top of some moss. This is where she spends most of her time. Although she does bask on the branch when I turn on her black light for a short while, it still worries me.

Should I be worried about this or is this normal for this species?
Any tips on getting her to eat?
Or any suggestions on her set up?

I did my research but any tips would make me feel much better about her.
Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]