return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

New Savannah monitor owner

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rkruse3 at Fri Dec 28 16:33:19 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rkruse3 ]  

I just got a savannah off of someone who no longer wanted theirs. She is about 16" long. I put her in a custom 8x2x2 tank. I have a large water/soaking area, damp cypress mulch for substrate( realize this may not be as good as I had thought), cool temps in the lower 70's and basking surface temps at 115. I just added two more 45 watt halogen bulbs to try and get the surface temps up to between 135-150. I am getting a new humidity gauge tomorrow as mine is M.I.A.! With the damp substrate and the soaking area, she should be fine for one night.

My problems/questions are as follows:

1) The person I received the lizard from said that she will not eat insects and that they fed her ground turkey. I realize that Savannahs eat mainly insects and the occasional aquatic critter (crayfish, shrimps, etc.). I have only tried very active superworms and she shows no interest whatsoever. I am willing to go out and get other insects if need be, but what is the best? The wife forbids roaches in the house!

2) When I got her home, she soaked in the water for about 3 hours. Now she just lays in a burrow or hides behind a Rete's stack that I made. She seems very lethargic, but this could be because she is in a new environment. Is this normal?

Please help me. If I am doing something wrong, not doing it at all, or whatever, please let me know. I am concerned about the health of the lizard as I sold my reptile and rodent collection to get one monitor.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Savannah monitor owner - FR, Sat Dec 29 13:58:30 2012