return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: New Savannah monitor owner

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sat Dec 29 17:42:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The problem with varanids is work. They take work, so there are very few who have actually produced them REPEATEDLY.

Monitors are very general reptiles, That is, they have very little in adaptions, and conquer their habitat with behavior.

They climb, dig, swim, and do whatever to obtain prey. All have tails, legs, teeth etc. all species are fairly similar. The big difference in species is size. From tiny little monitors, to Komodos. Yet, similar in all other ways.

If you read Auffenburgs Komodo Monitor book, it shows burrows very well. That would directly apply to Savs.

I have produced many many species to many generations and if there were three things that are very important, it would be,

Hydration, temp range and WHOLE PREY ITEMS. Make sandwiches with that turkey meat, if you want to feed turkey, feed them turkeys.

WHat is funny is, when that turkey diet first came out, it was an attempt by the folks at CRES to duplicate a rodent. The funny part is, we have rodents and lots of them, and the monitors love to eat them.

Good husbandry is husbandry you can DEPEND on. Whole prey items are dependable. No worries, you do not have to add suppliments or anything. Use meats like turkey and now its up to you to add and subtract and balance, etc. Why would you want to make something easy, HARD? This question is beyond me. I want easy.

The reason I want easy with diet is, I still have plenty of other areas to take up my time.

Back to breeding monitors, its so easy its rediculus, except for BEHAVIOR. This is where we run into problems. Some get along, some kill eachother. And others do neither.

If you raise them together, they generally work well together, and you have to put them together to breed them.

Other then that, you do not hibernate them, or cycle them in anyway, good pairs, feed them well, nest them well and you get babies coming out like pez despensers.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Savannah monitor owner - rkruse3, Sat Dec 29 18:19:29 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: New Savannah monitor owner - rkruse3, Sat Dec 29 17:13:23 2012