return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: So to summarize

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: captainjack0000 at Fri Feb 1 19:10:30 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by captainjack0000 ]  

I have had this debate before, the "ambient air temp vs ground temp" debate that is.

Both are important, with perhaps a slight favoring towards surface (or belly heat), at least in terms of keeping them at home.

A snake is going to regulate its temperature, and each species probably has different approaches. There might even be different approaches at different stages of life. A young milk snake may dive for cover in a thick humus layer, and he might be able to move up or down in that layer, at different times of day to regulate temp. If decomposition is in play, say near a rotting log, then that might even provide some heat for the young animal. Compost heaps can give off a lot of heat.

A rattlesnake however might choose to bask in the sun on a pile of leaves, and not bother going under.

I think many people have this notion that the only way a snake regulates its body temperature is using incoming solar rays or hiding in the shade. I would bet that it is WAY more complicated than that.

But what I can tell you, from my climatology class here at UF, is that the air temps you get on these weather maps are probably recorded at about 5 feet off of the ground, and they're in a stevenson screen. It's a box with open slats (google image search for a pic) that allows for the passage of air, but also keeps the sun off of the thermometers and whatever else might be inside. A big reason for this is because air temperature is going to be drastically different than the surface of the intrument. Plus, they need consistency. You don't every cloud coming by throwing off your data collection, so its better to just keep it in the shade all of the time. Why 5ft or so? I bet its convient. Why bend over if you can set it at shoulder height? But this does cause some problems. I've been taught that some places may have a temperature difference of up to 36F in 2m of air closest to the surface. It can be WAY hotter down by your feet than it is by your face. The shortwave radiation coming in from the sun on a clear day can really heat up the ground, but the longwave radiation given off by the earth takes a while to heat up the air above it. Side note, the warmest part of the day (excluding air mass movements and whatnot) is mid afternoon when longwave radiation re-radiating back from the atmosphere is at its peak. (Can anyone tell I'm loving my class because of its utility for herpetoculture?)

Anyway, my point is that air temps are a good start, but surface temps might of more value.

But, the other side of the argument is that snakes may help regulate temperature via breathing. I don't have much evidence for this other than hearsay, but the idea is that the lung in snake is long and passes by some critical organs and blood vessels. A warm surface but cold air may cause problems for the snake because of the exchange of heat from the animal to the air that it exhales. Every new breath in brings in more cold air, chilling the blood and whatever else, and every exhale releases more heat from the animal.

So that argument then says ambient air has to be proper as well.

IMO opinion, both are important because it seems silly to risk being wrong.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Pinstriped Annulata locality data - snakecellar, Sat Feb 2 16:11:01 2013
<< Previous topic:  Milk Snake Behavior Question - captainjack0000, Tue Jan 29 20:36:31 2013