return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

about to get 1st monitor but cant decide

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wldktrptls at Thu Feb 21 02:03:54 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wldktrptls ]  

Which species to go with. Ever since my buddy picked up one of those savana tegus at a reptile expo in the city i ve wanted one of my own. So ive been looking at the larger models and have narrowed it down to two different types. What i really want is one that will grow into a dog tame dragon/best friend. I just bought a 60 gal tank(i scored cause it even came with a big hot rock! But i gotta make a top for it) for whichever one i finally choose. I found a place on the web that has young ones(2&1/2-3') of both types that the guy assured were all CB/CH/CB, feeding well, and parasite free. He told me either type will be a little skittish at first but tame down in a matter of weeks with multiple handling sessions a day. So which makes the coolest pet once they get big? The blue tailed or the tri-colored? The dude at the store said the tri colored is a bit more assertive and 40 bucks more(are they really so rare?)but they are awesome looking lizards..the blue tailed kinda looks like those mangrove monitors but a bit fancier with the blue tail. If i got both would they breed? Would i need a bigger tank or will the 60 gal work for both if they're still small like that? I read here that catfood isnt good for them, but what if i give them like Iam's or science diet? Wouldnt that be ok? I want to go look at them but the only address they have is the email address so i just have to take their word for it, but they seem trustworthy in their emails... I heard that the best way to tame them if they're still not tame within a week or so(i tamed both my blue tongue skinks in six days!)is to turn of the lights off for a couple days because they feel more secure in the cool darkness, and are then easier to hold. Is that true? I really want to get it tame as soon as possible then get into captive breeding since these are CB/CH/CB already. Any helpful hints for an eager beginner? Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: about to get 1st monitor but cant decide - wldktrptls, Thu Feb 21 02:10:23 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: about to get 1st monitor but cant decide - tbrophy, Thu Feb 21 14:08:04 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: about to get 1st monitor but cant decide - FR, Thu Feb 21 19:25:59 2013