return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: .........anything else???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tanks at Sat Apr 20 23:20:01 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tanks ]  

Something else not addressed is in some cases animals will 1 or more eggs in a pour fashion as this when they are infertile. Then will lay the remainder of the eggs 1-3 days later, often these last eggs are fertile. I have had a milksnake go a week between the good eggs and bad. I usually panic and will not let it go this long before I drain the next egg. Unless I know for sure the snake is truly bond up I never drain all the remaining eggs, I usually just drain the egg closest to the vent and the others pass.

Next thing that works great is take a larger tub, put about 4" of water in it place the animal in it at night, she will swim and pass the eggs, I have got up found the eggs and still incubated them full term and had them hatch.

Another opinion is an egg bound female will seek water, most animals go to water when sick or injured, snakes can do the same. She might have been bound and laid in the water, after laying in the water she may have been to pass those 3 eggs.

I prefer to use the swim method for my first option, I will usually check on the animal before bed to pull eggs so the don't stay in the water any longer than they have too. I did have an animal 2 years ago that was the size of a baseball and could not swim the eggs out, I had to drain every egg to get them to pass.

One more opinion, seems animals that are over weight tend to get bound more often, seems my thinner animals don't get bound as often as my fat ones, maybe a coincidence maybe not???? Just my opinion on that aspect
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Oops - tanks, Sat Apr 20 23:21:51 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: .........anything else??? - Peters, Tue Apr 16 01:54:11 2013