return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Can I feed him Chicken?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: murdoch at Thu Apr 18 07:05:47 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by murdoch ]  

All my retics strike the front of their cages when I enter the room. Babies in racks sound like popcorn when I walk by. They have a conditioned feeding response. Your presence means food likely and they attempt to eat anything that moves or is warm.

This is the Retic

Now you need to make sure you have jump back room and prepare for a few lunges whenever you open the cage.use a hook to gently redirect them back and try touching them gently on the head. My retics will swipe and strike an average of 3 times at the hook, me etc and then realize that no food is coming and settle down and be handled starting with the hook once they stop responding to you and the hook in a hungry manner.

Whole Chickens can be fed but stats are bulky and nasty smelling.

Chickens also carry salmonella more than rodents.

No need to over feed as this is not the problem.

Chicken parts also carry salmonella potentially and do not offer full nutrition, though in the old days I used to slide in chicken legs as animal was finishing its rat.

Winslow

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Huge Retic - bam171bam, Sun May 19 08:07:37 2013
<< Previous topic:  Can reticulated python harm my baby? - kaedeco, Sun Mar 17 20:15:29 2013