return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Excessive Rubber Boa prices

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Tue Apr 30 11:39:17 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

BobS, others:
The only restrictions on the take of non-protected species of herps in Oregon is that native species, including the Rubber Boa, cannot be sold or bartered. So for years, I have had a standing offer to anyone willing to travel to the Corvallis, Oregon area, I would take them out so they could collect their own boa. And over the years, I have had a few individuals do that very thing.

As for price, many years ago I looked into the commercial sale of the species and the asking prices in the Kingsnake web site's ad section. At that time, prices ranged from about $100 to $150 as I recall. So it would seem that not much has changed price wise. And yes, a number of individuals posted photos of the Rubber Boas they had purchase as having been captive bred but with grossly scarred tail tips indicating they had been wild caught.

The reason the species has been considered to be rare is due to a number of factors not the least of which is the species is mostly fossorial and secretive. Then on top of that aspect, most professional and amateur herpetologist make searches for snake during warm, sunny weather from mid spring through the summer months. That is fine for finding some species of snakes but not very conducive for finding the boa.

I begin my field season for finding the species in February here in northwestern Oregon and continue until it gets overly warm and hot which usually occurs by late spring.

As for abundance, consider the following: For over 40 years, I have traveled a certain road west of Corvallis and have spied a couple of abandoned sheds in a field on the east side of the highway. I have always felt that the site was a prime place for finding the species as the field had remained undisturbed all of this time. On April 19th, when driving by those two sheds, I though I could see a roofing on the ground by the north shed.

I have been able to contact the owner of the property and got permission to see what I could find. On the first visit, in 5 - 10 minutes of turning about 10 roofing tins, I came away with 9 Rubber Boas. After recording data on those specimens at home, when I returned to release those boas, I found two more.

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Excessive Rubber Boa prices - BobS, Thu May 2 22:01:21 2013

<< Previous Message:  Excessive Rubber Boa prices - BobS, Sun Apr 21 19:50:09 2013