return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Uncertain future for bill banning owners

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Law Center & Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EricWI at Sat Apr 27 20:02:06 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EricWI ]  

Uncertain future for bill banning ownership of "exotic" animals
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

A new bill going through the State House would ban the ownerships, trading, or breeding of dozens of exotic animals from bears and lions to boa constrictors.

Since introducing the Dangerous Wild Animal Act into the legislature last week, small business owners and exotic animal lovers have united to let their representatives know any animal -- not just the exotic species they own -- can be dangerous.

However, the support to keep these animals available has been overwhelming.

"It is probably the second or third most opposed bill I've seen since I've been here," said Rep. Kirkman Finlay. "Various people feel their livelihood will be negatively impacted."

"I think people would maybe -- I don't want to say give up -- but move onto something else. And I don't think that's very fair to the animals," said Tom Campbell, owner of Wild Reptile Adventure.

Many believe interacting with and owning these animals could help save them from extinction.
"You think the California condor would be around if it wasn't for private collection and propagation of that bird species," said Campbell.

Representatives from the Humane Society, the agency that helped craft the bill, tell us public safety and proper care of animals are the driving factors behind the bill. Others say exotic and "dangerous" animals simply get more bad publicity than good.

"There are no bad animals, just bad people, unfortunately," said Campbell.

Those directly involved in the bill say they're unsure whether this bill will be debated. It may be a matter for next year's session.

www.wistv.com/story/22090679/uncertain-future-for-bill-banning-ownership-of-exotic-animals?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8816622#.UXsZO5CM-5s.facebook

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereUncertain future for bill banning owners - EricWI, Sat Apr 27 20:02:06 2013

>> Next topic:  Snake ownership in Miami - jodrock, Sun Apr 28 19:40:47 2013
<< Previous topic:  Finding Direction in the Herp Community - Chris_McMartin, Wed Apr 24 06:24:51 2013