return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: you know...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Jun 5 12:04:56 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Izi, the whole direction gets thrown off. One, your choice of niles, hmmmmmmm African, not middle eastern. But none of that is the point.

The point is, your missing whats important to all monitors. it does not matter what kind or where its from.

Heres the problem, in most cases, 90% or more, successful reptile experience with other types, such as geckos, beardeds, or snakes, is a hinderence. The reason is, its far easier to learn something then RELEARN something. From your statements, your going to have to relearn how to keep reptiles. Monitors will teach you what other reptiles REALLY are/need. But other reptiles, will not teach you what monitors are, or need.

What you need is a base education on monitors. You do understand, they are the LEAST successfully kept of all reptiles. Only a couple of species are produced in captivity, and even with those, failure is dominate. Most species like Savs or niles, there is nearly complete failure.

Let me think, hmmmmmmm that hurts, there are tens of thousands of both species in the country, and in the past ten years, you can count the successful reproductive events(minimum level of husbandry) on one or two hands. Then add, those events were mainly one female, one year. Not year after year, or generations.

In my case, I have taken aprox 18 species to six generations or more. With that in mind, both JME and I, are only attempting to get you to head in a direction where you "possibly" could be successful.

What I/we are saying, If you can take a neonate or some small species from hatchling to adult, in say, under 18 months, you will have an understanding of what's needed. Then you take that and expand it to a large cage or room and you and your monitors will be happy. Which is what we want.

continued

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: you know... - FR, Wed Jun 5 12:20:34 2013

<< Previous Message:  you know... - Izi, Wed Jun 5 00:36:22 2013