return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: 1) Reducing the demand for WC animals

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Robert__Mendyk at Mon Jun 10 00:13:12 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Robert__Mendyk ]  

It seems there isn't much more I can add to this thread as you apparently know all there is to know about CITES and how its trade restrictions work, conservation biology, and the commercial trade in monitor lizards.

For the record, I did not say that you were planning on breaking any laws- I was pointing out that you seem to think that the laws and international trade restrictions put in place to protect these animals from commercial exploitation do not apply to you (i.e., selling them to pet shops/private keepers who want them to set up in an 'in store display'), and that you are going to get these animals anyways in spite of these restrictions- all in the name of "conservation" no less!. As others have pointed out to you already, you are in for a rude awakening.

It's nice to see that you are very enthusiastic about monitor lizards. I hope that this newfound interest will encourage you to read and learn more about their husbandry, biology, and conservation, or even get you to travel to observe and study them in the wild. I would heed the sound advice now given to you by several people in this thread (experienced individuals that might know a thing or two that you do not) and forgo your plans to attempt acquire threatened/endangered species under the guise that it will be for "conservation" purposes.

If anyone is interested in reading more into the exploitation and conservation status of monitor lizards, I highly recommend the following two articles:

www.zo.utexas.edu/courses/Thoc/CanHumansShareSpaceshipEarth.pdf

www.herpconbio.org/Volume_8/monographs/Koch_etal_2013.pdf

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: 1) Reducing the demand for WC animals - Izi, Sun Jun 9 21:50:14 2013