return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

feeding problems...even worse!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: xerxesbunny at Mon Jun 24 08:38:31 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by xerxesbunny ]  

Does anyone have any idea why a 13 y.o. pyro, after 8 years of eating frozen, would switch off and only eat live? His last real meal was a frozen baby rat (the petshop was out of mice; I'm surprised he got it down) on December 15, 2012. I let him brumate for the first time while in my care, (because he wasn't eating much…), and now he won’t eat frozen mice. (And braining doesn't seem to work either.) He needs to get some weight back on, so I tried fuzzies in the interim, while still trying frozen food as well. He'll only take the fuzzies, and even then I have to put his head near them. On the last go, they gave me weaned fuzzies instead of the ones that become totally content and out of it when sleeping near a heating pad, so I had to deal with baby mice running all over my apartment. The snake only ate one. I think he may have gotten distracted by the 3rd fuzzy leading to regurgitation of the second one. (So I kept the last live one, got him a friend, and now I have two live junior mice.) The original one was already traumatized by the snake; I have no idea what to do about feeding.

Totally stressed out, driven to tears, losing sleep and at my wit's end. Nightmare about it, even. Any advice? He was warmed up in late March and has only had 5 fuzzies since then. His original owner is telling me I should try scenting with anole skin, but I can't find a source of frozen lizards. (And the petshop didn't like that idea, sternly warning of parasites.)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: feeding problems...even worse! - pyromaniac, Wed Jun 26 08:54:45 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: feeding problems...even worse! - mrkent, Sun Jun 30 20:07:41 2013