return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Cutch of Bull Snake Eggs!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slayer_Scotty at Wed Jul 3 14:31:31 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slayer_Scotty ]  

Iggy, our Pituophis Catenifer Sayi laid 7 eggs Monday July 1st. This was five weeks to the day after we caught her. When she was caught roughly 90 seconds later another Bull was in the same spot she was initially spotted at & he was captured as well (guessing he was male). This other snake hissed & was constantly trying to slither out of my hands whereas, Iggy (The Wonder Snake) didn't hiss or wag her tail or do any other angered or threatening behavior. It was an easy choice as to which snake would come home with us to be cared for. I've done lots of Google searches about Pituoiphis Catenifer Sayi incubation/egg care & searched on here but, am possibly using the search feature here incorrectly because every time a whole lot of pages come up with no specific content that's being searched for (if that makes sense lol). We are keeping the temp between 78-84 degrees Fahrenheit. With 80.6 being optimal (from a zoology report I found on Google). There's lots of info on Corn Snakes & since Bull's & them are both Colubrid's I've used some of that info to build an incubator. The eggs are on top of a round piece of plastic with moss on top of it- that has water underneath the plastic & an adjustable heating pad under the container as you'll see in the pics. I'm not even 100% sure they're fertile but, considering the circumstances surrounding her capture I'm inclined to believe they are. I'll try "candling" them in a few days to check for signs of life. We're planning on releasing all the hatchlings after they've eaten once- in order to improve their odds of survival in the wild. We will let em' go where we found their mom most likely. Also, most likely, I'll cool the temp down to 75 or so during the first week of August in order for them to soak up their yolk more efficiently & be born as healthy as possible. Any info as far as temp/humidity for this specific species or ones like it would be helpful. Or any other comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!
>

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cutch of Bull Snake Eggs! - Slayer_Scotty, Wed Jul 3 14:33:08 2013 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Cutch of Bull Snake Eggs! - acheela, Wed Jul 3 18:11:36 2013 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Cutch of Bull Snake Eggs! - carraig, Fri Jul 5 17:01:44 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Cutch of Bull Snake Eggs! - pitparade, Thu Jul 18 20:44:35 2013