return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: monitor suitable substrate

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wldktrptls at Tue Jul 16 01:43:44 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wldktrptls ]  

I hear what you're saying(well..i think ido..) of course what we do today is founded upon what others did in the past. However, i'd be willing to bet that what elements/aspects each individual integrates into their method/philosophy/approach to husbandry may be likened to the recombinate nature of DNA, where combinations from the past which proved themselves viable in past contexts are passed forward through generations in time. Slight variances to more significant ones develop and continue until other shifts either incorperate the old, outperform them, or progress along side in differentiating populations. Such are the ways of husbandry.

Alas, the full page-er's have deloped a formidable set of traits what with their care-sheets, critter carpets, and cans of tegu food, their ideal examples of proper housing,only overshadowed by the expertise of their staff..(ok..that last part was largely aimed at the petcos of the world...)

But there are those who know better, and as a whole they(we?) Do what we can to keep the genome of progressively better husbandry still thriving in the gene pool, so to speak...

So..i guess what i m really saying is,not only that Frank is a lucky mutant..but that alot more lizards are doing better as captives because of that lucky mutant who has put forth a lot of work and ongoing effort to disseminate not only the results of his works but the means by which others may attain similar effect with their own animals.

Sure..he's not alone in this mission, hell even Watson had Crick!( just to further the strand) But as far as i know, frank was the one that tied the ackie to the kitestring during the thunderstorm..maybe he didnt invent husbandry, but he certainly has helped alot of people understand it better!
Ok....ok...i ll get off the basking spot...
Ben~i would be interested in hearing about your experiences with v.rudicollis as well as your plans for further..well..."roughing it".. i know...sorry..!

guy

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  enclosure ventilation - monitorguy69, Thu Jul 11 21:38:07 2013
<< Previous topic:  savannah monitor on a fishing trip? - jheep, Fri Jul 5 22:13:15 2013