return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Is my milk snake sick?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kiba20 at Sat Jul 13 03:43:12 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kiba20 ]  

My Honduran milk snake has been displaying some symptoms that i am growing more concerned about. When this first started, he was making popping and clicking noises, and sometimes a wheezing noise that sounded like a sneeze. He would open his mouth one side at a time and he had a lot of mucus. We took him to the vet and he was first put on an antibiotic that I can't remember the name of, and when that didn't work the vet put him on Baytryl. That didn't seem to be working either, so we fogged him with a eucalyptus steam, and then fogged him with F-10 and that seemed to work. It seemed to get a lot better after he shed, but we continued to fog the F-10 for a week to be safe.

Since then he has been better but is still having symptoms. It seems to get worse before he sheds, he makes a lot of popping, clicking, and sneezing sounds and occasionally open mouth breathes, and usually hides for a few days. After he sheds he tends to be more active and does not open mouth breathe, and we only hear the occasional clicking sound. Other than that, he is active and eats normally, and is not quarantined from the other snakes.

However, recently our snakes had to be boarded for an extended period of time, and after we got them back we noticed the milk snake seemed to be doing a little bit worse than usual. He hid for a few days and was making a lot of clicking and sneezing sounds, and recently has been more active but has been open mouth breathing quite a lot, but no saliva. He held his mouth open for quite a while and I saw no mucus, but I am still concerned about why his mouth was open in the first place.

It doesn't seem to be a bacteria since the antibiotics didn't work, none of our other snakes have gotten sick, and it's been going on for quite a while, so any advice on what this could possibly be and/or what I can do to help my snake would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]