return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A couple of questions for Jeremy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jeremy Pierce at Thu Jul 18 12:50:52 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeremy Pierce ]  

Thank you for your post! I'm happy to answer the questions and pleased to hear that you've had similar happenings.

1. "in regards to the original parental genetics,you said originally you bred a "ghost" to your Stillwater hypo....was the "ghost" an axanthic hypo,or was this a hypo white-sided?"

answer - The grandparent ghost was a Bell Hypo Whiteside

2. "Just curious) also it seems you are working with the strain of "white-sided" that produces cleaner,stark white laterals,(I think this is generally considered to be the Trumbower strain?)"

answer - there are several people on this forum that know me from a long time ago. (some of them even own my stock) I have spent a decade breeding whitesides and have selectively bred for the stark white laterals. I've also bred for coal black eyes. I'll have to post some pics of the clutch I just hatched out (straight whiteside clutch). They are AMAZINGLY clean with coal black eyes.

I don't believe there are two strains of whiteside, just that the particularly better looking forms may be originally attributed to Craig Trumbower. The "salt and pepper" whitesides and the super cleans will produce all whitesided offspring when bred together.

3. "Was your original ghost from this strain of white-sided?"

answer - As mentioned above, I don't believe there are two "strains" (which I define as not producing homozygous offspring when bred together). With that said, all of my original stock was hand selected for the high white sides. In the beginning, I would get about twenty percent that were what I deemed a grade 10 animal. The clutch I produced this year produced all grade 10's with the exception of one animal and she is a solid 8. One thing I noticed early on is that all of the best looking whitesides seemed to be male. I finally produced a female that looked like I wanted a few years ago and have kept her back. She is a six foot chunky girl now that produced this years clutch.

to be continued... ran out of room

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  ANSWER TO GUESS THE PIT - pitparade, Thu Jul 18 15:46:39 2013
<< Previous topic:  2013 annectens PICS - alstotton, Thu Jul 18 10:16:21 2013