return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ANSWER TO GUESS THE PIT

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PaulF11 at Fri Jul 19 15:28:58 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PaulF11 ]  

I don't really understand the terminology of genetics, so just bare with me please while I try and get this point across;

I have kept a couple of pits for a few years now (after keeping various species of snakes for well over 20!) but have only just got my first bull after waiting many, many years to get the right animal. (Imported from the States as it happens!)
And the reason for this is that many of the bulls in the hobby in the UK these days look somewhat suspect. Many of the animals seem to have saddles on the lower third that just look way too far apart!
This runs hand in hand with an unhappy coincidence that there was a bit of a trend in the UK of creating "pinbulls" or "pinxbulls" as they are known. No prizes for guessing the parents, and all in the name of making something "interesting"?

I don't think any of us would deliberately taint the lines of a species of animal, but the problems arise when someone buys a snake which looks 100% like one of its parents, and is then bred on by a new, un suspecting owner. Not from the very unique obvious hybrids like the one shown in this thread.

Pituophis in general are "out of fashion" in the UK at the moment, but seem to be coming back! This unfortunately means that there are quite a few people looking to get into pits that haven't really done their research, and at a time when morphs of any species seem to be more popular than normal animals. You COULD sell them anything, and I feel it may be almost too late for milks/kings and corns over here already!

I don't suppose this is the response that the OP was looking for, but I think you really need to look out for the purity of your native species, as there are a lot of us around the UK and Europe counting on you!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: ANSWER TO GUESS THE PIT - acheela, Sun Jul 21 18:26:26 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: ANSWER TO GUESS THE PIT - hermanbronsgeest, Fri Jul 19 10:52:51 2013