return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I want to get help to prevent dead~!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Aug 5 07:28:41 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hello, I hope I can help you. I am one of the older keepers here and luckily we had to develop ways to control flagellated protozoa.

Before Flagel came along, there was amtril(a guess) before that nothing.

Your right, protozoa infections are stress induced. In most cases, the stress is caused by Heat. To much, to long, no way to escape the heat, or lower their body temps.

For instance, prolonged temps over 85F, can promote massive blooms of protozoa.

This is also species related, some species can take more heat the others.

I recommend allowing both cool and warm temps, at all times. A Room temperature( 75F) cage, with a small spot(half the size of the snake coiled up) in one corner. A hot spot of 90F is good, no more then 100F.

These temps are NOT exact. But these temps will work with all species of colubrids.

The simple supporting of temperature choices, so the snake can pick what it wants, eliminates Protozoa infections.

Once you have supported this, then feed your hognose very small food items until the lining of the digestive track heals and it will. Best of luck and are there no vets in Hong Kong?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I want to get help to prevent dead~! - ciboyx, Mon Aug 5 08:29:17 2013

<< Previous Message:  I want to get help to prevent dead~! - ciboyx, Mon Aug 5 03:55:51 2013