return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Andean Milksnake Help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ChrisJ1989 at Mon Aug 5 18:01:05 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ChrisJ1989 ]  

Hello all. New to the forums and I can tell I'm going to learn a LOT from you all and I'm glad I found this website. My partner and I bought an Andean milksnake in late May 2013, complete with stand, vivarium, cypress bark chips, two hiding spots and so forth. The tank measures 36" wide, 18" deep, 18" high. He's about 4.5-5 feet long, and I believe he's 3 or 4 years old, though I'll need to double check. From what I've read, Andean milksnakes aren't the best choice for a beginner hobbyist due to their montane habitats. Nevertheless, he's been really good to us except for recently.

He's been a good eater, eating a large mouse twice a week (that was the feeding schedule that the pet store owner had him on; and for those curious, we got him from Fauna in NYC). We went through his first shed without any problems, however, for the past 2 to 3 weeks he won't eat. We take him into another, smaller tank (10 gallon if I remember correctly) and feed him a pre-killed, thawed mouse, usually around sunset or shortly thereafter. He will usually go for the mouse within 15 minutes, but lately, he won't go for it. He'll actually sit there and stare at the damn thing for about 20 or 30 minutes and not budge a millimeter.

Thus, why I'm here.

His tank conditions are:

Temps: warm side (88.2*F), provided by a UTH, and supplemented with a basking light (only on recently because of how chilly it has been). The cool side I don't have a reading; I'll be getting a thermometer sensor ASAP.

Furnishings are usual water dish, branch to climb on, a plastic plant for hiding in (which he's in right now), and a hideaway thing that you put sphagnum moss in, and substrate is Reptibark by ZooMed. Other than not eating, he looks relatively healthy, and I've seen him drink once during this time. Behavior wise, he's not acting unusual - he'll spend most of the day in one of his hides and will only be super active at dawn/dusk or at night.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of his hunger strike? Your patience and guidance are very much appreciated!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Andean Milksnake Help - DMong, Mon Aug 5 18:33:51 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Andean Milksnake Help - exposito, Mon Aug 5 18:45:38 2013